Monday, March 7, 2011

Personal Review


         I enjoyed this book a lot. When I read this book and read about the family
 closeness and trustworthiness it hit home for me. My father’s family is a traditional New
 York City family. They were all born and raised there and they all speak their minds and
 stay close to their family no matter what, just like the book. However my father’s family
 was not in the mob. Perhaps my favorite part of this book was the fact that it was about a
 true Italian gangster. I enjoy learning about Al Capone and other mobsters so to read a
 fictional book about a fictional family was a great way to look at the full story from
 another person’s point of view. I enjoyed the suspense of the book and I also enjoyed
 learning about the characters and the personal struggles they faced. For example Johnny
 Fontane had a drinking problem and his wife was cheating on him.
            I did not however enjoy the vulgar parts of the book. When I read it I imagined
 the scenes and it was very gory and disturbing to imagine half the things that were said in
 the book. I also did not enjoy the length of the book. Since the book was so long it felt to
 me at some times the book was just repeating an endlessness of violence and cruel
 beatings. I think that Mario Puzo may have been able to shorten his book had he not gone
 into such in-depth descriptions. But regardless this book was not in any way predictable. I
 was always left guessing and wanting more.
            Over all though this book was one of my favorite books I have read. I liked the
 show the Sopranos while it was airing and this was similar in a way to the show. I plan on
 reading the other books and perhaps even watching the movies later on. 

1 comment:

  1. This entry is well written and you raise good points overall. I like that you related the closeness of the Corleone family to that of your own. Although the Corleone family is extremely unconventional, their loyalty and trustworthiness with one another is something that could be related to a modern family. I also agree with you that it was interesting to read about the way a true Sicilian, mafia family functions. It is a truly fascinating subject and the way Puzo writes, it helps one to view each scene through the characters' eyes.
    Although the novel is vulgar and violent at times, I feel that without it, the novel would not have been as popular as it is today. Despite the fact that you did not enjoy the lengthly, vivid descriptions, I felt that it revealed the true life of this mafia family.

    ReplyDelete